Monday, April 7, 2008

Spring Break, Part 2

All immature animal loving aside (see next post), my favorite outing of Spring Break was to COSI, the children's museum. This time, it was just my boy and me. We had a lovely time, getting to go just where we (he) wanted and do just what we (mostly he) wished. Our first stop, as it always is, was Outer Space. To get into Outer Space, you have to walk through a long, black-lit walkway around which is swirling a black cylinder with tiny lights in it. From much observation this seems patented to enthrall anyone under the age of about 10 and instantly nauseate anyone over the age of about 21. I, being WELL over 21, have not much tolerance for it. Jack, age 5, wants to stand in it for hours. I find if I either look very very intently at the floor or perhaps close my eyes and think of Tahiti, I can make it about 2 minutes. Luckily on the other side of the Tube of Lost Lunches there is a model of one of the early space ships, which simulates (very badly) takeoff. Thus, it is possible to bribe one's enthralled five year old onward and escape with one's cookies intact.

This day , we took a page out of Uncle Hugh's book and tried taking pictures of ourselves together. The first is us eating pizza -- yes pizza! -- at three o clock in the afternoon. (Guess who suggested the lovely banana as a snack, and guess who stuck by his very great desire for a pizza?!?) The other picture is the two of us in a tunnel under the playplace for kids under 7 (perhaps I count as mental status, sub-7?) The kids were quite taken aback to find this huge adult-type person plugging up their tunnel, but after a bit of surprise they didn't seem to mind. Not sure about the other parents..but then again, most of them were busy texting on their blackberries!


Lunch-busting space rides and greasy pizza aside, the best part of the day for me, and something I hope will always stay with me, was the look on Jack's face. He has this intoxicating combination of eagerness and wonder, mixed in with just happiness at us being out together. It lit up his whole being. It's such a privilege getting to have these moments with him, watching him discover things about the world, being there to enjoy all that discovery together. Reminds me of something I heard Julia Roberts say once -- I always knew I would love my kids, I just never knew they'd be my best friends, that I'd love spending time with them more than anything else in the world. That's the truth, folks.

No comments: