Monday, April 7, 2008

General Conference Weekend

This is living! 8 hours of inspired counsel (10 for the men!) piped right into the comfort of our living room, our wonderful friends to share it with, kids happy to see each other, and the first truly gorgeous weekend of spring to enjoy in between sessions. It's impossible to say what gave me the greatest pleasure. Highlights would be hearing Elder Ballard talking directly to me and my friends who struggle to know how best to mother our families; tossing sticks for Shelby in the creek and seeing her bound with unbridled joy through the current time after time; running with the kids down the bike path in the sheer excitement of being loose in the warm sunshine; reading bedtime stories with the kids piled all around me; watching and listening to the new First Presidency and feeling that we are in such good hands going forward; the gentle assurance as I listened to Conference that the Lord knows and loves me and that the Gospel is true. It was really a marvelous weekend. If only we could have days like these more often -- only then I suppose we would not value them as much as we do.


I grew up in the Air Force. We moved around all the time. With the exception of three years , from when I was four until almost seven, we never lived less than a full day's drive from family. It's so sweet to me now that, even though much of my "actual" family is far from me, I have this wonderful conglomeration of "real" family here. Friends that we've known for years, their kids that we've known from infancy. I adore watching these kids (not to mention my friends) grow up. It's a privilege to be a part of it. And better yet is seeing Jack grow up with this huge extended family of people whom we adore, and who know us to our core. This picture is of Jack and a few of his honorary cousins, in the midst of the woods as we take our intermissionary walk.




Don't you just love a good joke?!? We found this tree man along the bike path, quite in the middle of nowhere (as much as you can be in the city). What kind of amazing mind not only conceives of doing this, but then carries it out? It makes me smile every time I see it!!

No comments: